Art on Display
Looking for a taste of fine art? Here’s our selection of the best art collections and galleries around the country.
Art and Wine Tasting
- Art is on display at Tokara, where The Garden exhibition will be showing until 31 August 2013. 021 808 5900.
- The personally curated collection of Laurence Graff is open to the public at the Delaire Graff Estate, where the interiors, such as the William Kentridge-inspired boldly curvaceous tangerine leather banquette, have been designed around some of the pivotal works on display. Works by Deborah Bell, Sidney Kumalo, Fred Schimmel, Durant Sihlali and Cecil Skotnes line the walls of the Tasting Room and restaurant, but guests at the Lodge can enjoy Ndikhumbule Ngqinambi’s and Stephane Graff’s unusual work. 021 885 8160.
- The Jeanetta Blignaut Art Consultancy curates the Spier Art Collection. The work is cross-disciplinary and incorporates performance, installation, drawing, sculpture, photography, video and film. Works by Kagiso Pat Mautloa, Helen Sebidi, Xolani Moshani and Ricky Dyaloyi, as well as the photography of Pieter Hugo, are on display. Marco Cianfanelli’s ‘The Dying Slave’ forms part of the permanent Spier Collection and marks the first outdoor three-dimensional piece produced in the Spier Architectural Arts studio. 021 809 1100.
The art collection at Saronsberg Wine Estate near Tulbagh includes works by Colbert Mashile, Angus Taylor and Walter Battiss. 023 230 0707.
- The owners of Leopard’s Leap Family Vineyards in Franschhoek are committed to the conservation of the Cape mountain leopard and have installed works depicting leopard by Marco Cianfanelli and Dylan Lewis. 021 876 8002.
- Indulge in artworks paired with KWV wines at the KWV Sensorium, Paarl. 0800 212 519.
- A group show arranged by Gordon Froud titled ‘Tom Waits for No Man’ is currently on at The Gallery at Grande Provence Heritage Wine Estate in Franschoek. 021 876 8600.
Top Auction Houses
- For international auctions featuring South African work, visit Bonhams at www.bonhams.com or Christie’s at www.christies.com.
- See legendary auctioneer Stephan Welz in action at Strauss & Co Fine Art Auctioneers & Consultants. Visit www.straussart.co.za for details of their auction on 21 October at The Vineyard Hotel, Newlands, Cape Town.
- Johannesburg 5th Avenue Auctioneers specialises in South African old masters. Go to www.5thaveauctions.co.za for details.
- Established in 1891, Cape Town-based Ashbey’s Galleries have held the first exhibitions of some of South Africa’s most respected artists, such as Irma Stern, JH Pierneef and Tinus de Jongh. See www.ashbeysgalleries.co.za for auction dates.
- Stephan Welz & Co specialises in South African masters and contemporary art. See www.stephanwelzandco.co.za for upcoming auctions.
For More Art Experiences
- FNB Joburg Art Fair 2013 is on at the Sandton Convention Centre from 22 to 24 September.
- Ellerman House is Cape Town’s prestigious art hotel: each room features works by top SA masters and contemporary artists. Call 021 430 3200 for a booking.
- Inspired by international events such as the Frieze Sculpture Park in New York, the Winter Sculpture Fair takes place in May each year at the NIROX Sculpture Park near the Cradle of Humankind, outside Johannesburg and Pretoria.
- Art for Me, a showcase of contemporary art, will be staged from 25 to 27 October at The Lookout in the V&A Waterfront in Cape Town. The fair is being produced and managed by Fiera Milano, the organisers of MiArt in Milan, Italy, and International Art Istanbul in Turkey.
- To book for one of João Ferreira’s art tours to Cape Town CBD and V&A Waterfront, Southern Suburbs and False Bay, Woodstock or the Winelands, call 082 490 2977
- Knysna Fine Art Gallery 044 382 5107
- To attend Strauss & Co’s next auction on 21 October call 021 683 6560; www.straussart.co.za
- The New Church Gallery is open to the public by appointment only. Contact Colleen Pastor, 021 657 3472
- Emma Bedford recommends the free advisory service of The Iziko SA National Gallery in Cape Town. To make an appointment call 021 481 3970
- Deon Viljoen Fine Art 021 882 9996
- Warren Siebrits 011 327 0000